Your social media calendar
Recently, I wrote about your editorial calendar and the social media calendar runs side by side. When you write content (or commission it) you need to also schedule it for your social media promotion too. Too many.people upload they content, market it once, and that’s that. Or worse, they spam their content every day. Elsewhere on this site, you’ll read why automating your promotions via social media is one of the daftest things you can do. But promote,you must.
The good news is that it’s easy to do.
- When you are first planning a piece of content, determine first who the content is intended for – not every piece will be suitable for everyone in your network. It may just be suitable for one medium, maybe more, but the important things is to make a note of it.
- Note too any sensitive dates and how that content can be used on different dates and occasions. If you have to adjust the content to fit additional dates, that’s fine.Make a note too about any changes that will need to be made before the content is next promoted.It might be a simple update or a slight re-arrange but whichever it is, write it down.
- Make a note then of which promotional tools you’ll be using and on which dates. You might find that some content can be promoted monthly, some every couple of months and some when the seasons change.
- Some will be applicable for certain dates such as Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day and so on. If this is the case, schedule updates for the day before promotion.
- After each update,remember to check the piece for keyword density and plagiarism using the current guidelines – don’t rely on previous checks.
You don’t need any fancy software for this – you’ll be pleased to know that you can use an ordinary desk diary or preferably, a numbered Tickler file. Simple