Why is maintenance such a problem for you?
I’ve never understood this. You have a car and every so often,you need to pay for it being serviced and generally maintained. No-one seems to mind this. You have a house or apartment that needs regular maintenance work. That’s fine too. Computers, air conditioning units, jewelry, clothing, TVs, office equipment, everything we own needs, cleaning and/or maintaining. So why do people get so funky about website maintenance? It’s beyond me…
Your website – you know this – is your most important marketing tool. The chances are that you paid more for your car (especially when you consider peripherals like insurance) and you’re happy to pay for that. All it does is get you from point A to point B. It depreciates in value. Before long, it will need to be replaced.
And yes, you need to maintain and look after your website too.What needs to be done?
- New content must be added every month at the bare minimum. Every day is ideal. Every week is OK. It’s pretty obvious why – why should a search engine or a human visitor go back to your site if nothing has changed?
- Your stats need to be studied and acted upon. Why are you getting hits from people who are using one key phrase and not another? Where are your viewers coming from geographically? Which sites are best for sending you qualified traffic? These – and more – are all things that need to be analyzed and acted upon.
- What percentage of your hits have come from search engines? Is this satisfactory or not? Is the site conforming to the latest search engine guidelines? Is it contravening new search engine developments?
- Is your call to action being acted upon in the way you expect? If not, why not? What do we need to change on your site?
- Have you been affected by issues such as bad backlinks, poor keyword analysis or amateur SEO? How can we resolve these issues?
- Which are the most popular pages on your site? Which get the least hits? Why is that and what can be done about it?
- Have your staff been adding content? Did they check for duplicate content or keyword density issues? If not, we can see to that for you and make adjustments accordingly.
These are just a few of the the issues that need to be looked at on a regular basis – there are many more. You service and maintain just about everything else in your life so make sure that the same applies to your most valuable marketing tool.